- I am an assistant professor of Computer Science
at the University of Wyoming. Prior to this, I received my Ph.D.
degree in Computer Science from the University of Kansas in 2017.
Here is my CV.
- My research lies in machine learning and its interactions with
fairness, privacy and security. I direct a Machine
Learning Group. Our current projects focus on socially-aware learning
and anomaly detection. We are grateful to be partially funded by NSF.
- Two funded research positions are available.
Please contact me if you are interested.
- (i) A fully-funded GRA position is available for a motivated
PhD or MS student with solid mathematical and programming backgrounds
and committment to high-quality research and publications to work on
socially/security-aware machine learning projects.
- (ii) An hourly-paid position is available for a committed
UW student with good mathematical background
and working knowledge on machine learning to participate in the research
on security-aware learning. Prior considerations will be given to those
who are underrepresented or experienced in programming.
- What's New [Group News]
- 01/2020: I'll be teaching Machine Learning in Spring 2020.
- 01/2020: I'll serve as a reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Multimedia.
- 01/2020: I'll serve as a PC member for KDD'20.
- 09/2019: I receive the NSF CRII award.
- Selected Publications
- [ICDM'19] Hui Hu*, Yijun Liu*, Zhen Wang* and Chao Lan.
A distributed fair machine learning framework
with private demographic data protection.
International Conference on Data Mining, 2019.
(a security patch to this work is at our [PPAI'20])
- [UAI'16] Chao Lan, Jianxin Wang and Jun Huan.
Towards a theoretical understanding of negative transfer
in collective matrix factorization.
Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence, 2016.
- [KDD'15] Chao Lan and Jun Huan.
Reducing the unlabeled sample complexity of semi-supervised multi-view learning.
Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, 2015.
- [CIKM'14] Yuhao Yang, Chao Lan, Xiaoli Li, Bo Luo and Jun Huan.
Automatic social circle detection using multi-view clustering.
Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, 2014.
- Spring 2020: Machine Learning
- Fall 2019: Introduction to AI
- Selected Services
- Conference PC: KDD'20, AAAI'19-20, PAKDD'18-20, IEEE BigData'19, IJCAI'18.
- Journal Reviewer: IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering,
IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia,
Pattern Recognition, Neurocomputing.
- Selected Awards
- - NSF CRII Award
- - UAI Scholarship
- - Data Science Summer Institute Scholarship, UIUC