- Machine Learning Group @ University of Wyoming
- The general mission of this machine learning group is to investigate and develop effective,
robust and socially-aware machine learning techniques, with applications in various domains such
as anomaly detection, social network analysis, recommender system and educational data mining.
- Our current focuses are socially-aware learning and anomaly detection.
- We are grateful to be partially funded by NSF and the Social Justice Research Center at Uwyo.
- Group News
- 12/2019: Paper accepted to AAAI'20 Workshop on Privacy-Preserving AI. Congrats to Hui.
- 11/2019: Zhen will present accepted papers at ICDM and ICBK in Beijing.
- 11/2019: Austin and Hui will present accepted papers at ICTAI in Portland.
- 10/2019: Zhen passed his Ph.D. preliminary exam.
- 09/2019: Paper accepted to ICBK'19. Congrats to Zhen.
- 08/2019: Two papers accepted to ICTAI'19. Congrats to Austin and Dheeraj.
- 08/2019: Paper accepted to ICDM'19. Congrats to Hui.
- 05/2019: Austin will serve as a session chair at IJCNN'19.
- 04/2019: Madison receives the NCWIT Collegiate Award with her
- 03/2019: Paper accepted to IJCNN 2019. Congrats to Zhen.
- 05/2018: We are running an open summer study group. Stop by if you are interested.
- 04/2018: Paper accepted to ICPR 2018. Congrats to Dheeraj.
- Lan, Chao
- Ph.D. Students
- Hu, Hui (2018-)
- Wang, Zhen (2018-, expected in 2020)
- M.S. Students
- Liu, Yijun (2018-, expected in 2020)
- B.S. Students
- Okray, Austin (2018-, expected in 2020)
- Chen, Rui (Senior Design, 2019-, expected in 2020)
- Fantin, James (Senior Design, 2019-, expected in 2020)
- Yi, Kun (Senior Design, 2019-, expected in 2020)
- Madison, Cooley (B.S.,2018-2019; now Ph.D. student at the University of Utah)
- Bhaskaruni, Dheeraj (M.S.,2018-2019)
- supervised students are marked with asterisks (*)
- [PPAI'20] Hui Hu* and Chao Lan.
Inference attack and defense on the distributed private fair machine learning framework.
AAAI Workshop on Privacy-Preserving Artificial Intelligence, 2020.
- [ICDM'19] Hui Hu*, Yijun Liu*, Zhen Wang* and Chao Lan.
A distributed fair machine learning framework with private demographic data protection.
International Conference on Data Mining, 2019. (acceptance rate:18.5%=194/1046)
- [ICBK'19] Zhen Wang*, Suresh Muknahallipatna, Maohong Fan and Chao Lan.
Inductive semi-supervised multi-view anomaly detection via probabilistic modeling.
International Conference on Big Knowledge (invited paper), 2019.
- [ICTAI'19] Austin Okray*, Hui Hu* and Chao Lan. Fair kernel regression via fair feature
embedding in RKHS. International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence, 2019.
- [ICTAI'19] Dheeraj Bhaskaruni*, Hui Hu* and Chao Lan. Improving prediction
fairness via model ensemble. International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence, 2019.
- [IJCNN'19] Zhen Wang*, Suresh Muknahallipatna, Maohong Fan, Austin Okray*
and Chao Lan. Music classification using an improved CRNN with multi-directional spatial dependencies
in both time and frequency dimensions. International Joint Conference on Neural Network,
- [ICPR'18] Dheeraj Bhaskaruni*, Fiona Moss and Chao Lan. Estimating prediction
qualities without ground truth: A revisit of the reverse testing framework.
International Conference on Pattern Recognition, 2018.
- Seminars (members only)
- Data Sets
- Conference Submission Deadlines
- Jan 15, International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI), 2020.
- Feb 07, International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML), 2020. (Austria)
- Feb 13, Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (SIGKDD), 2020. (USA)
- Feb 20, Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI), 2020. (Canada)
- May 01, Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM), 2020. (Ireland)
- May 12, Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS), 2020. (Canada)
- Jun 02, International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM), 2020. (Italy)
- Sep --, AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), 2021. (Canada)
- Oct --, Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Statistics (AISTATS), 2021.
- Oct --, SIAM International Conference on Data Mining (SDM), 2021.
- Summer Study Group (2018)
- Welcome to the Machine Learning Summer Study Group @ UW, 2018.
This is an open weekly study group, aiming to introduce advance machine learning techniques.
Participants are assumed to have been exposed to machine learning, and will have the
opportunity to practice example techniques with provided reference Python codes.
The study group will meet in Engineering Building Room 4066 every Tuesday
from 1:10pm to 2:30pm between May 22 and June 26, 2018.
- Statistical Modeling: The Two Cultures
- A (Incomplete) List of CS Conferences
- Kaggle Data Science Competition